Thursday, November 12, 2009

Skeptical Science - There is no consensus

Have you heard about the lack of a consensus in climate change research? Well so had I, and I actually sort of believed it... well, until I discovered that those who don't agree are really only a couple percent when you look at people who really know what they're talking about.
The question of scientific consensus is posed in Examining the Scientific Consensus on Climate Change (Doran 2009). The authors surveyed 3146 earth scientists, asking them the following survey question:
Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures?
What is most interesting is that the authors categorised the scientists based on their level of expertise in climate science. For example, those considered the most qualified were climate scientists who had more than 50% of their peer-reviewed publications in the past 5 years on the subject of climate change. The results are shown in Figure 1...

» Read More...

No comments: